When can I stop taking Olysio?

You should continue taking Olysio (simeprevir) until your doctor tells you to stop. Olysio is used with other medications to treat chronic hepatitis C. How long you need to take Olysio depends on the other medications used with it, and whether you have cirrhosis (scarring) of the liver or not.

When Olysio is used with Sovaldi (sofosbuvir), people who don't have cirrhosis typically receive 12 weeks of treatment, and those with cirrhosis are treated for 24 weeks.

When Olysio is combined with peginterferon and ribavirin, people usually take all three medications for 12 weeks, then continue peginterferon and ribavirin for an additional 12 to 36 weeks. Your doctor may stop treatment early if this combination isn't working.

Remember to take your medication every day. If you want to stop taking Olysio, talk to your doctor first. The drugs may not cure the hepatitis C infection if you stop or interrupt your treatment. If you stop taking the other drugs prescribed along with Olysio, you should stop Olysio, as well. It is not effective when used alone. 

Continue Learning about Antiviral

What foods or medications can Harvoni interact with?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are taking silodosin, modafinil, oxcarbazepine, simeprevir, a rifamycin, rosuvastatin, topote...
What should I know before taking Triumeq (or Epzicom and dolutegravir)?
Your doctor will need to measure your liver enzymes and kidney function before starting treatment. Y...
What should I know before taking Truvada and raltegravir?
Your doctor will need to measure your creatinine clearance, urine protein, urine glucose, and serum ...
What are antiviral drugs?
Antiviral drugs treat viral infections like hepatitis C, influenza and herpes. Antiviral drugs are m...