What should I know before taking Triumeq (or Epzicom and dolutegravir)?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Your doctor will need to measure your liver enzymes and kidney function before starting treatment. Your risk for heart disease should be assessed. You should also be screened for hepatitis B and for a specific type of the HLA-B gene, which carries instructions for making a protein used by the immune system.

If you take dolutegravir, you should avoid alcohol.

Triumeq and Epzicom are not recommended for children who weigh less than 25 kg (55 pounds).

If you have heart disease, Triumeq may not be a good option for you.

Triumeq can worsen hepatitis B infections and raise liver enzymes in people with both HIV and hepatitis B.

If you have impaired kidney function and your creatinine clearance is less than 50 mL/min, you should not take Epzicom.

If you have moderate to severe liver impairment, you should not take Triumeq or Epzicom + dolutegravir.

Triumeq and Epzicom + dolutegravir may not be good options for women who are or may be pregnant. It is not known if they are safe for pregnant women.

You should not take Triumeq or Epzicom + dolutegravir if you are breastfeeding. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Antiviral

What should I know before taking Zepatier?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Your doctor will need to check your liver enzymes before starting treatment. Checking to see if the ...
What should I know before taking daclatasvir and sofosbuvir?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests before starting treatment. If you are planning to become ...
How should I take Olysio?
Olysio (simeprevir) is an oral medication for chronic hepatitis C that you take once a day with food...
What side effects do Truvada and raltegravir have?
Side effects may include anxiety, depression, fatigue, dizziness, headaches, insomnia, inflammation ...