Both Abreva Cream (docosanol topical) and Blistex are over-the-counter cold sore medicines. However, Abreva Cream fights the herpes simplex virus that causes cold sores, helping the sores heal faster. Blistex does not fight the virus. It contains mild pain relief medicines and a skin protectant to soothe a cold sore, but it does not accelerate healing.
- Q How should I use Abreva Cream?
- Q What is Abreva Cream?
- Q How does Abreva Cream treat cold sores (fever blisters)?
- Q Should I tell my doctor I am using Abreva Cream?
- Q Are there any side effects of Abreva Cream?
- Q Can I use Abreva Cream once a cold sore has appeared?