Both Abreva Cream (docosanol topical) and Blistex are over-the-counter cold sore medicines. However, Abreva Cream fights the herpes simplex virus that causes cold sores, helping the sores heal faster. Blistex does not fight the virus. It contains mild pain relief medicines and a skin protectant to soothe a cold sore, but it does not accelerate healing.
- Q Is my cold sore contagious while I am using Abreva Cream?
- Q What is the maximum daily dosage for Abreva Cream?
- Q Who should not use Abreva Cream?
- Q What should I avoid while using Abreva Cream?
- Q Can I use Abreva Cream to treat genital herpes?
- Q Who should use Abreva Cream?