How effective is topical coal tar?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Coal tar can reduce skin inflammation, and it helps to slow the abnormal growth of skin cells. It reduces itching and scaling, and can restore the skin's appearance. The FDA states that over-the-counter coal tar products with coal tar concentrations between 0.5 percent and 5 percent are safe and effective.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Antipsoriatic

What should I know before using coal tar?
You should not apply coal tar to inflamed, broken, or infected skin. If you are pregnant, planning ...
How effective is topical vitamin D at treating psoriasis?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Vitamin D treatment is effective and safe for plaque psoriasis. Ointments are more effective than cr...
How does topical vitamin D treat psoriasis?
Topical vitamin D is a synthetic form of the vitamin that is applied directly to the skin. It treats...
What should I know before using topical vitamin D to treat psoriasis?
If you are pregnant, may be pregnant, or are planning to become pregnant, calcitriol and calcipotrie...