What are isoflavones?

Isoflavones -- a compound found in plants -- have been shown to protect against breast cancer. Foods that contain the effective isoflavones include soy products like tofu and soybeans, as well as garlic and onions. Following a diet akin to the Mediterranean diet -- which is rich in olive oil, fish oils, calcium, and fruit -- can help increase your daily intake of isoflavones (and it also packs a wealth of other health benefits).
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Antioxidants

5 High Antioxidant Summer Sorbets
5 High Antioxidant Summer Sorbets
The only thing sweeter than sorbet at the end of a meal is the virtuous feeling that accompanies eating it. While others may be forking down Trans Fat...
How do antioxidants combat free radicals?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Antioxidant is a catchall term for any compound that can counteract unstable molecules such as free ...
What is a good antioxidant for me?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Antioxidants clean up toxins in the body and come in many forms. Dr. Oz welcomes Dr. David Katz, ...
Are Polyphenols Good for My Health?
Are Polyphenols Good for My Health?