What can I do to reduce the harmful effects of free radicals on my body?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
We cannot stop free radicals completely. Yet we can reduce their pro-inflammatory effect on the body by eating foods high in powerful antioxidants -- plant chemicals that scavenge and neutralize the free radicals.

So far, the known antioxidants include vitamin C, vitamin E, selenium, the carotenoids, which have immune-boosting properties, and the flavonoids, plant compounds that reportedly have antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antitumor activities.

A deluge of scientific studies reveal that many compounds found in fruits, vegetables, and even whole grains also have antioxidant properties -- some more potent than others.
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...

Continue Learning about Antioxidants

Grab Carrots This Color for Extra Antioxidants
Today's carrots come in a rainbow of colors, but here's the hue with the most antioxidants: purple. Research shows that, bite for bite, purple carrot...
How do flavanones in foods boost antioxidants in the body?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Flavanones are polyphenols found in citrus fruits (lemons, grapefruits, and oranges). They are so bi...
What are the health benefits of Diindolylmethane (DIM)?
Julie T. Chen, MDJulie T. Chen, MD
Diindolylmethane, or DIM, has a natural way of helping your hormones (estrogen) stay in balance, and...
How Are Polyphenols Good for My Overall Health?