How should I take antioxidants?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology
Expert opinion remains divided about whether taking antioxidant vitamins in dosages higher than the recommended daily allowance (RDA) confers additional benefits. I recommend the moderate approach shown below:
  • Eat fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidant vitamins (sweet potatoes, spinach, carrots, broccoli, cantaloupe and citrus fruits).
  • Take a good multivitamin that includes safe and effective amounts of the antioxidant vitamins and trace minerals.
  • Don't take megadoses of vitamins unless you are under the care of a physician and registered dietician.
If you decide to take antioxidants each day, then I recommend:
  • Vitamin C, 250 mg
  • Vitamin E, 400 to 800 IU of a natural form (d-alpha-tocopherol)
  • Selenium, 200 mcg of a yeast-bound type
  • Mixed carotenoids, 25,000 IU
  • B-complex vitamins that provide at least 400 mcg of folic acid
  • Calcium, 1,200 to 1,500 mg as calcium carbonate for those who are under 65 years of age or calcium citrate for those who are over 65 years of age.

Continue Learning about Antioxidants

Better-Than-Blueberries Fruit
Better-Than-Blueberries Fruit
When it comes to antioxidants, there's a certain fruit group that may be giving blueberries a run for their money. And you'd be "plum" foolish not to ...
What is uric acid?
Uric acid is the most abundant liquid antioxidant you have and accounts for as much as two-thirds of...
What fruits are high in antioxidants?
Dr. Grant Cooper, MDDr. Grant Cooper, MD
The Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) test has shown that blueberries have tremendous antiox...
How Noshing on Berries Can Improve Your Brain Health