How should I take antioxidants?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology
Expert opinion remains divided about whether taking antioxidant vitamins in dosages higher than the recommended daily allowance (RDA) confers additional benefits. I recommend the moderate approach shown below:
  • Eat fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidant vitamins (sweet potatoes, spinach, carrots, broccoli, cantaloupe and citrus fruits).
  • Take a good multivitamin that includes safe and effective amounts of the antioxidant vitamins and trace minerals.
  • Don't take megadoses of vitamins unless you are under the care of a physician and registered dietician.
If you decide to take antioxidants each day, then I recommend:
  • Vitamin C, 250 mg
  • Vitamin E, 400 to 800 IU of a natural form (d-alpha-tocopherol)
  • Selenium, 200 mcg of a yeast-bound type
  • Mixed carotenoids, 25,000 IU
  • B-complex vitamins that provide at least 400 mcg of folic acid
  • Calcium, 1,200 to 1,500 mg as calcium carbonate for those who are under 65 years of age or calcium citrate for those who are over 65 years of age.

Continue Learning about Antioxidants

Grab Carrots This Color for Extra Antioxidants
Today's carrots come in a rainbow of colors, but here's the hue with the most antioxidants: purple. Research shows that, bite for bite, purple carrots...
What are isoflavones?
Isoflavones -- a compound found in plants -- have been shown to protect against breast cancer. Foods...
What are flavonoids?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Some foods, such as grapes, tea and chocolate, contain special components called phytochemicals that...
Which Beverages Are Good Sources of Antioxidants?