How are polyphenols good for my health?

Janet  Brill, PhD, RD
Polyphenols are plant chemicals rich in antioxidants, which can reduce inflammation in the body and promote heart health. Watch nutritionist Janet Brill, PhD/RD, discuss the benefits of polyphenols, and how they are found in wine and chocolate.
Polyphenols are good for health because they are potent antioxidants that quench free radicals; they are found in wine, coffee, tea, and chocolate. Watch neurologist David Perlmutter, MD, discuss why you should include polyphenols in your diet. 
Emilia Klapp
Polyphenols are part of a larger family of non-nutritive chemicals called phytochemicals. Found in plants, phytochemicals protect us against diseases. Researchers have identified more than 900 different phytochemicals in foods and are discovering more. One serving of fruit or vegetables is estimated to contain more than 100 different phytochemicals. Studies show that polyphenols in particular can protect the arteries by lowering bad LDL cholesterol in the blood, increasing a substance that causes the veins and arteries to relax, and preventing platelets from sticking.
Chris Kilham
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Polyphenols are a group of antioxidant compounds derived from plants -- notably found in coffee -- that can protect our cells and reduce inflammation in the body. Watch as "Medicine Hunter" Chris Kilham discusses the healthy benefits of polyphenols.

Continue Learning about Antioxidants

Grab Carrots This Color for Extra Antioxidants
Today's carrots come in a rainbow of colors, but here's the hue with the most antioxidants: purple. Research shows that, bite for bite, purple carrot...
What fruits are high in antioxidants?
Dr. Grant Cooper, MDDr. Grant Cooper, MD
The Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) test has shown that blueberries have tremendous antiox...
What can I do to reduce the harmful effects of free radicals on my body?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
We cannot stop free radicals completely. Yet we can reduce their pro-inflammatory effect on the body...
What Is Chicoric Acid?
What Is Chicoric Acid?