Is it safe to take Keytruda if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?

No. Keytruda (pembrolizumab) fights melanoma cancer cells by making it easier for the immune system to attack them. Animal studies suggest that the chemicals blocked by Keytruda are needed to protect the fetus during pregnancy. In theory, receiving Keytruda during pregnancy could cause serious harm to the baby or loss of the pregnancy. 

Doctors don't know if Keytruda is released in breast milk. Because of the possible risks to the baby, though, doctors recommend that women stop nursing while being treated with Keytruda. 

Continue Learning about Antineoplastic Agent

Can Keytruda interact with other medications or foods?
Doctors don't yet know if Keytruda (pembrolizumab) interacts with any medications or foods. However,...
What is Keytruda?
Keytruda (pembrolizumab) is a medication approved for people who have advanced melanoma that can't b...
What is mitoxantrone?
Mitoxantrone is a drug that works by suppressing the immune system. It is also used to treat leukemi...
What should I know about methotrexate before taking it?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests and check your liver and kidney function before you start tr...