How does methotrexate treat inflammatory bowel disease?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Methotrexate suppresses immune system activity and reduces inflammation. It was developed as a cancer treatment. But it was later found to work for other conditions in which immune system activity causes damaging inflammation, such as rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis. When used to treat inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), it is usually given by injection. It is an alternative to the thiopurines and is used less often. It is not FDA-approved for treating IBD. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Antineoplastic Agent

What should I know before taking rituximab?
Your doctor will need to test for hepatitis B, and possibly hepatitis C, before you start treatment....
What is Keytruda?
Keytruda (pembrolizumab) is a medication approved for people who have advanced melanoma that can't b...
Are special precautions needed if I take hydroxycarbamide?
Hydroxycarbamide (Droxia, Hydrea) is one of those uncommon drugs that is hazardous to touch. Safety ...
What is rituximab?
Rituximab (Rituxan) is a biologic drug, a man-made copy of an antibody that blocks certain cells in ...