How effective is mitoxantrone for treating multiple sclerosis?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Mitoxantrone helps people with MS have fewer relapses. It also helps slow the progress of disability and nerve damage that can be seen on an MRI. For people with aggressive relapsing-remitting MS, studies show that 6 monthly injections of this drug followed by long-term treatment with interferon-beta or glatiramer may be more effective at slowing relapses and disease progress than interferon-beta or glatiramer alone. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Antineoplastic Agent

What should I know before taking rituximab?
Your doctor will need to test for hepatitis B, and possibly hepatitis C, before you start treatment....
How does methotrexate treat psoriasis?
Methotrexate (Trexall) is a medication that is taken as a weekly pill. It is usually prescribed only...
What is Keytruda?
Keytruda (pembrolizumab) is a medication approved for people who have advanced melanoma that can't b...
Is it safe to take Keytruda if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
No. Keytruda (pembrolizumab) fights melanoma cancer cells by making it easier for the immune system ...