How does Gleevec treat dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP)?

It is thought that Gleevec can help treat dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) by blocking the signals from an abnormal protein made by a gene called the PDGFR fusion gene. DFSP are tumors that grow under the top skin layer, and it seems that the PDGFR fusion gene makes the abnormal protein that causes cancerous cells to grow. Gleevec may work by blocking the messages from that abnormal protein that could harm the normal function of cells.

Continue Learning about Antineoplastic Agent

When should I call my doctor if I am taking Keytruda?
Keytruda can cause immune-mediated side effects, meaning that the immune system attacks and damages ...
Does rituximab interact with any other medications?
If you are taking abatacept, deferiprone, natalizumab, pimecrolimus, tacrolimus, tocilizumab, or tum...
What is mitoxantrone?
Mitoxantrone is a drug that works by suppressing the immune system. It is also used to treat leukemi...
Does methotrexate have any side effects?
Side effects may include fever, headaches, drowsiness, dizziness, fatigue, blurred vision, cough, sh...