How does fluorouracil topical treat skin conditions?

Topical fluorouracil is a cream primarily used to treat solar keratoses or actinic, but may be used for basal cell carcinoma when there are multiple lesions or the lesions are in difficult areas to treat. The cream is applied twice a day for two to six weeks. The skin will become red and look irritated and begin to flake and scale with the possibility of oozing and crustiness. Once the unhealthy cells have died, the skin will begin to replenish. Allow your doctor to follow the treatment through the final stage to ensure that treatment was successful.

Continue Learning about Antineoplastic Agent

How does Novantrone help treat multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Novantrone (mitoxantrone) is a chemotherapy drug used to treat worsening relapsing-remitting (charac...
When should I call my doctor if I am taking Keytruda?
Keytruda can cause immune-mediated side effects, meaning that the immune system attacks and damages ...
What is methotrexate?
Methotrexate (Trexall) is taken as a weekly pill or injection. It is one of the most common DMARDs (...
What are the possible side effects of Keytruda?
The most common adverse effects of Keytruda (pembrolizumab) are fatigue, cough, nausea, itching, ras...