Can tamoxifen cause uterine cancer?

In some cases, women who took tamoxifen to treat breast cancer have developed uterine cancer. Tamoxifen works against estrogen that is causing breast cancer, but in some cases it actually has the opposite effect in the uterus. Just as estrogen does, tamoxifen can cause cell growth in the uterine lining. Developing uterine cancer from tamoxifen use is rare, but if you took tamoxifen tell your doctor and watch for symptoms of uterine cancer, such as vaginal bleeding or pelvic pain.

Continue Learning about Antineoplastic Agent

What is rituximab?
Rituximab (Rituxan) is a biologic drug, a man-made copy of an antibody that blocks certain cells in ...
When should I call my doctor if I am taking Keytruda?
Keytruda can cause immune-mediated side effects, meaning that the immune system attacks and damages ...
How does methotrexate treat inflammatory bowel disease?
Methotrexate suppresses immune system activity and reduces inflammation. It was developed as a cance...
What should I know about methotrexate before taking it?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests and check your liver and kidney function before you start tr...