How should I take naratriptan?

Naratriptan (Amerge) is used to treat migraine headaches. You should take only one pill, with or without food, as soon as you feel a migraine coming on. Naratriptan is not used to prevent a migraine, only headaches that have already begun. Your doctor will determine the best dose for you. If one pill doesn't relieve your headache you may be able to take a second one, but you must check with your doctor for advice. If you don't get full relief, the dose may be repeated once after four hours but the total you take in a 24-hour period shouldn't exceed five mg. Naratriptan comes in one and 2.5 mg. tablets.

Continue Learning about Antimigraine

How effective are triptans at treating migraines?
Oral triptans are usually effective for mild migraines. The most effective are rizatriptan and eletr...
What should I know before taking triptans?
According to the manufacturers, the safety of using triptans more than 3 or 4 times a month is not k...
What are possible side effects of triptans?
Side effects may include fatigue, weakness, dizziness, tingling sensations, flushing, chest and thro...
When should I take zolmitriptan to treat migraines?
Dr. Anthony L. Komaroff, MDDr. Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Zolmitriptan (Zomig) is a member of the "triptan" family, a group of medications commonly used to tr...