How does ergotamine and caffeine treat migraine headaches?

Some scientists believe that ergotamine and caffeine relieve the pain of migraine headaches through their effect on blood vessels in the brain. Although the precise cause of these painful headaches remains mysterious, it's known that ergotamine and caffeine prevent blood vessels from expanding, which may avert the pain. However, some scientists believe that the source of migraine pain may lie elsewhere in the brain.

Continue Learning about Antimigraine

When should I take zolmitriptan to treat migraines?
Dr. Anthony L. Komaroff, MDDr. Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Zolmitriptan (Zomig) is a member of the "triptan" family, a group of medications commonly used to tr...
How effective are triptans at treating migraines?
Oral triptans are usually effective for mild migraines. The most effective are rizatriptan and eletr...
What should I know before taking triptans?
According to the manufacturers, the safety of using triptans more than 3 or 4 times a month is not k...
What are possible side effects of triptans?
Side effects may include fatigue, weakness, dizziness, tingling sensations, flushing, chest and thro...