What should I know about ergotamine and caffeine before taking it?

You should know that ergotamine-caffeine should never be taken during pregnancy because it can harm the fetus. It should also not be taken while breastfeeding. It is also important to know that this medication will not prevent migraine headaches but will only treat one that is already present. If you have certain medical conditions, you should not take ergotamine and caffeine. These include: angina, blood circulation problems, history of stroke or heart attack, uncontrolled high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, severe kidney disease, history of heart disease, severe liver disease or a serious infection. You should also not take ergotamine and caffeine if you are allergic to any of its ingredients or to any other ergot medications. Keep your doctor informed about all of your medical conditions and about all medications that you are taking. Some medications, such as antibiotics or antidepressants, may interact with ergotamine and caffeine. Always take exactly the dose of this medication that was prescribed to you.

Continue Learning about Antimigraine

When should I take zolmitriptan to treat migraines?
Dr. Anthony L. Komaroff, MDDr. Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Zolmitriptan (Zomig) is a member of the "triptan" family, a group of medications commonly used to tr...
What should I know before taking triptans?
According to the manufacturers, the safety of using triptans more than 3 or 4 times a month is not k...
How effective are triptans at treating migraines?
Oral triptans are usually effective for mild migraines. The most effective are rizatriptan and eletr...
What other drugs interact with triptans?
If you are taking a 5-HT3 receptor antagonist, triptans can lead to side effects and should be avoid...