When can I stop taking Diovan?

You can stop taking Diovan (valsartan) if you and your doctor together decide that it is time for you to stop. Diovan is prescribed for high blood pressure and heart failure, and to increase the odds of long-term survival after a heart attack. Many people need to stay on blood pressure or heart medications indefinitely. However, some people may be able to take a lower dose of medication or even go off of it completely by making lifestyle changes that might include losing weight, stopping smoking, exercising regularly and eating a low-fat diet.

Do not stop taking Diovan without talking to your doctor first, even if you start to feel better. High blood pressure frequently has no symptoms, so you should not use how you feel as your guide.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

How are calcium channel blocker used to treat coronary artery disease?
Calcium channel blockers reduce the constriction of arteries and increase blood flow to the heart mu...
What are the side effects of calcium channel blockers?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Calcium channel blockers block the influx of ions into cells, so calcium (that's the ion that gets b...
How effective is aliskiren?
Aliskiren controls blood pressure as well as many ACE inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blockers, and...
What should I know before I take clonidine?
If you have Buerger disease, a depressive disorder, a stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA), or ...