When should I call my doctor if I am taking Benicar HCT?

If you're taking the blood pressure medication Benicar HCT (olmesartan and hydrochlorothiazide), call your doctor for the following reasons:
  • Benicar HCT isn't adequately controlling your blood pressure. Because high blood pressure frequently has no symptoms, you should have your pressure checked regularly. Let your doctor know if the numbers are outside the range he or she has determined are right for you.
  • You become pregnant. Benicar HCT can seriously harm or even kill a developing fetus if it's taken during the second or third trimester. Stop taking Benicar HCT immediately and let your doctor know that you're pregnant.
  • You experience an allergic reaction. Seek immediate medical help if you experience any of the following side effects, which may indicate a potentially fatal allergic reaction to Benicar HCT or one of its ingredients: swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles or lower legs; hoarseness; difficulty breathing or swallowing.
  • You faint or feel very dizzy. It's not uncommon to feel lightheaded when you first start taking Benicar HCT—you may be able to minimize this problem if you get up slowly if you've been lying down for a while. (Try resting your feet on the floor for a few minutes before standing.) But if your dizziness is severe or if you faint, you should stop taking Benicar HCT and call your doctor.
  • You suddenly develop vision problems or eye pain. In rare cases, hydrochlorothiazide, an active ingredient in Benicar HCT, can cause these problems, usually soon after starting the medication. The condition is reversible but can become permanent if you don't stop taking Benicar HCT right away and receive medical help.
  • You have surgery planned, including dental surgery. Tell the doctors involved with the procedure ahead of time that you're taking Benicar HCT.
  • You need or want to start another medication. Because many medications (prescription and nonprescription) and dietary supplements may interact with Benicar HCT, tell your doctor about any new drugs or supplements you're thinking about taking.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

How effective is candesartan for treating migraines?
Guidelines published by the American Headache Society state that candesartan is probably effective f...
Does aliskiren interact with other medications?
If you are taking the following drugs, aliskiren can lead to side effects and should be avoided: ...
What are centrally acting alpha agonists?
Centrally acting alpha agonists are sometimes used to treat high blood pressure. They are not consid...
What should I know before taking candesartan?
It is not known whether candesartan is safe or effective for children and adolescents under age 18. ...