What should I know about telmisartan before taking it?

Before taking telmisartan, you should know about risks, precautions and possible drug interactions. Telmisartan can harm a developing fetus after the first three months of pregnancy, and may even cause miscarriage. Telmisartan should not be used during pregnancy. Talk to your doctor right away if you take telmisartan and think you may be pregnant. Talk with your doctor about all health conditions you have before you take any new medications. Before you take telmisartan, be sure to tell your doctor if you have any of the following conditions: allergies to telmisartan or other drugs; hyponatremia (low blood sodium); heart failure, damaged aortic valve, coronary artery disease or other heart problems; dehydration; or liver and kidney problems. When you first start taking telmisartan, you may experience lightheadedness, dizziness or fainting, especially if you use diuretics. Do not drive or engage in other potentially dangerous activities until you know how telmisartan affects you. During hot weather or exercising, be sure to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. Telmisartan can cause a condition called hyperkalemia, or high levels of potassium in the blood. Talk to your doctor immediately if you experience confusion; nervousness; breathing problems; trouble catching the breath; stomach or abdominal pain; nausea; vomiting; tingling or numbness in the lips, hands, or feet; weakness or heaviness in the legs; or irregular heartbeat. Once you start using telmisartan, continue taking the medication as directed even if you feel fine. Telmisartan helps control high blood pressure, but does not cure it. Keep a complete list of all medications, vitamins and supplements you take, both prescription and over-the-counter. Discuss them with your doctor before you take telmisartan or any new medication. In particular, the following medications can interact with telmisartan: ramipril, anticoagulants, digoxin and diuretics.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

How effective is candesartan for treating migraines?
Guidelines published by the American Headache Society state that candesartan is probably effective f...
Can I take Diovan if I'm allergic to sulfa drugs?
MediGuardMediGuard
Diovan may be taken by someone with sulfa allergy. Although rare, it is important to note that peopl...
What should I know before taking a calcium channel blocker?
If you have advanced aortic stenosis, you should not take nicardipine. If you have aortic stenosis o...
How effective are angiotensin receptor blockers for diabetes management?
People with diabetes should have a blood pressure goal of 140/90 or less. ARBs (angiotensin receptor...