What is Demser?

Demser is a brand name with the active ingredient metyrosine. It is used in the treatment of pheochromocytoma, which is a tumor of the adrenal gland. This condition can cause adverse cardiovascular effects including high blood pressure. Demser comes in 250 mg capsules and daily dosages range from 2.0 grams per day to 4.0 grams per day. This medication can be prescribed to help prepare for surgery or to manage pheochromocytoma if surgery is not an option. Pheochromocytoma causes your body to produce too much epinephrine and norepinephrine, also known as catecholamines. Demser helps control this by inhibiting production of catecholamines and effectively reducing the amount of epinephrine and norepinephrine being produced in the body.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

What should I know before taking a calcium channel blocker?
If you have advanced aortic stenosis, you should not take nicardipine. If you have aortic stenosis o...
Which patients are prescribed antihypertensive medicines?
Janice M. Boughton, MDJanice M. Boughton, MD
Most physicians will consider starting antihypertensive medication (blood pressure medicines) to pat...
Can I take Micardis if I have diabetes?
If you have diabetes, you likely can take Micardis (telmisartan) to treat your high blood pressure, ...
What is candesartan?
Candesartan (Atacand) is one of several blood pressure medications being used for migraine preventio...