What is Demser?

Demser is a brand name with the active ingredient metyrosine. It is used in the treatment of pheochromocytoma, which is a tumor of the adrenal gland. This condition can cause adverse cardiovascular effects including high blood pressure. Demser comes in 250 mg capsules and daily dosages range from 2.0 grams per day to 4.0 grams per day. This medication can be prescribed to help prepare for surgery or to manage pheochromocytoma if surgery is not an option. Pheochromocytoma causes your body to produce too much epinephrine and norepinephrine, also known as catecholamines. Demser helps control this by inhibiting production of catecholamines and effectively reducing the amount of epinephrine and norepinephrine being produced in the body.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

What are angiotensin receptor blockers for diabetes management?
Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) block the effects of the hormone angiotensin. They help to lowe...
Can I take Diovan if I'm allergic to sulfa drugs?
MediGuardMediGuard
Diovan may be taken by someone with sulfa allergy. Although rare, it is important to note that peopl...
Can sexual health issues signal other medical conditions?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
All aspects of health are interrelated. Your sexual health will probably be impacted in some way by ...
Do thiazide diuretics have any side effects?
Brad AdkinsBrad Adkins
Thiazides are a class of medications which work in the kidneys to increase the amout of salt and wat...