What is Cartia XT (diltiazem)?

Cartia XT (diltiazem) belongs to a class of medications called calcium channel blockers and is prescribed to treat high blood pressure and angina, a chest pain that occurs when the heart is not getting enough oxygenated blood. Calcium channel blockers work by reducing the amount of calcium that enters the heart and blood vessel walls. This helps relax and dilate the blood vessels, lowering blood pressure and allowing the heart to work more efficiently.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

What are beta-blockers?
Beta blockers reduce the heart's workload and are used for high blood pressure, chest pain and to pr...
How can clonidine help me quit smoking?
Clonidine (Catapres) is a medication made to treat high blood pressure. It has also been used for qu...
What are the side effects of calcium channel blockers?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Calcium channel blockers block the influx of ions into cells, so calcium (that's the ion that gets b...
What should I know before taking candesartan?
It is not known whether candesartan is safe or effective for children and adolescents under age 18. ...