What is Cardizem LA (diltiazem hydrochloride)?

Cardizem LA (diltiazem hydrochloride) is used to treat high blood pressure and angina, a type of chest pain caused by decreased blood flow to the heart muscle. It belongs to a class of drugs called calcium-channel blockers, which act by preventing the flow of calcium into heart muscle cells and blood vessels, lowering blood pressure by widening the blood vessels. Calcium-channel blockers treat angina by widening the coronary arteries, causing more blood to flow to the heart muscle, and reducing the amount of work that the heart muscles have to do. Cardizem LA is not used during heart attacks. Cardizem  is available in several forms, including regular duration pills, long-acting pills, and liquid forms for injection. Cardizem LA is the extended-release, once-per-day tablet form of diltiazem, which is taken by mouth. It is produced in many strengths, and there are generic forms available in the United States.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

What should I know before taking candesartan?
It is not known whether candesartan is safe or effective for children and adolescents under age 18. ...
What are possible side effects of beta blockers?
Side effects may include dizziness, fatigue, sleep disturbances, nausea, diarrhea, and abdominal dis...
Can I take Micardis if I have diabetes?
If you have diabetes, you likely can take Micardis (telmisartan) to treat your high blood pressure, ...
What side effects does Olmesartan and Hydrochlorothiazide cause?
MediGuardMediGuard
Based on information from iGuard.org, a free medication monitoring service, 20% of patients experien...