What is bisoprolol/hydrochlorothiazide?

Bisoprolol-hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) is the generic name of a prescription medication that combines two different drugs to treat people with high blood pressure (hypertension). It is marketed in the US under the brand name Ziac. Bisoprolol is a type of drug known as a beta-blocker and affects nerve signal response in some parts of the body, such as the heart. This drug makes the heart beat more slowly and lowers the blood pressure, allowing the heart to receive increased levels of blood and oxygen. HCTZ is a type of drug known as a diuretic, or "water pill." It increases the amount of urine expelled from the body. That also helps lower blood pressure.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

What are beta-blockers?
SCAISCAI
Beta blockers are a form of medication used to treat high blood pressure, angina (chest pain) and ot...
What should I know before I take clonidine?
If you have Buerger disease, a depressive disorder, a stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA), or ...
What side effects does Olmesartan and Hydrochlorothiazide cause?
MediGuardMediGuard
Based on information from iGuard.org, a free medication monitoring service, 20% of patients experien...
What should I know before taking a calcium channel blocker?
If you have advanced aortic stenosis, you should not take nicardipine. If you have aortic stenosis o...