What should I avoid while taking Atacand HCT?

When you are taking the blood pressure drug Atacand HCT (candesartan and hydrochlorothiazide), you should avoid alcoholic drinks, because the combination can make your blood pressure fall too low when you stand up, making you feel dizzy and lightheaded, and possibly even making you faint. You also should avoid driving and operating machinery until you know how your body responds to Atacand HCT.

In addition, you should avoid potassium supplements and not use potassium-containing salt substitutes while you're on Atacand HCT, because they can make your blood potassium levels climb dangerously high.  

You should minimize sun exposure while you're taking Atacand HCT, because this drug can cause photosensitivity, an abnormal sensitivity to sunlight.

You should avoid becoming dehydrated while you're on Atacand HCT, because that can trigger an excessive drop in blood pressure. Be careful to drink enough fluids and be cautious about sweating too much or exercising in the heat. Tell your doctor if you've been vomiting excessively or had diarrhea.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

What are beta-blockers?
SCAISCAI
Beta blockers are a form of medication used to treat high blood pressure, angina (chest pain) and ot...
Can I take Diovan if I'm allergic to sulfa drugs?
If you are allergic to sulfa drugs, talk to your doctor before taking Diovan (valsartan), a drug pre...
How are calcium channel blocker used to treat coronary artery disease?
Calcium channel blockers reduce the constriction of arteries and increase blood flow to the heart mu...
Do centrally acting alpha agonists have any side effects?
Side effects may include weakness, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, headaches, loss of sex drive, a...