Can I take olmesartan during pregnancy?

Olmesartan is blood-pressure lowering medicine that belongs to a class of medicines called angiotensin receptor-blockers (ARBs). It is used for the treatment of hypertension and works by blocking hormones involved in blood vessel narrowing. All drugs that work on the angiotensin system, including olmesartan, can cause serious harm to a developing fetus, particularly if it is taken during the second and third trimesters. If you become pregnant while taking olmesartan your medication should be changed immediately. There have been many documented cases of fetal harm, including low blood pressure, deformities, birth defects, poor lung development, kidney failure, and death. The babies can be born prematurely. Olmesartan has been classified by the Food And Drug Administration (FDA) in Pregnancy Category C if taken during the first trimester and Pregnancy Category D when taken during the second and third trimester. This means that there is solid evidence that it can cause fetal harm in humans.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

What should I know before taking a centrally acting alpha agonist?
If you have severe coronary insufficiency or have had a recent heart attack, a centrally acting alph...
How are calcium channel blocker used to treat coronary artery disease?
Calcium channel blockers reduce the constriction of arteries and increase blood flow to the heart mu...
What should I know before taking candesartan?
It is not known whether candesartan is safe or effective for children and adolescents under age 18. ...
What drugs may interact with angiotensin receptor blockers?
If you are taking angiotensin receptor blockers, the following drugs may interact with them and shou...