Can I take olmesartan if I am breastfeeding?

Olmesartan (Benicar) is a blood-pressure lowering medicine that belongs to a class of medicines called angiotensin receptor-blockers (ARBs). It is used for the treatment of hypertension and works by blocking hormones involved in blood vessel narrowing, which causes blood pressure to rise.

Not much is known about the effects of olmesartan during breastfeeding because it has not been studied in humans. It is known, however, that olmesartan is detected in the breast milk of animals. Since all drugs that work on the angiotensin system, including olmesartan, can cause serious harm to your baby, particularly if it is taken during the second and third trimesters, it should also be avoided if you plan on nursing.

As with all drug use during breastfeeding, the benefits should outweigh any risk to both you and your baby.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

What are the side effects of candesartan?
Side effects may include low blood pressure, dizziness, upper respiratory infection, inflammation of...
How do clonidine tablets interact with other medications or food?
Clonidine may interact with the following medications, and should be avoided: azelastine nasal sp...
How effective are angiotensin receptor blockers for high blood pressure?
ARBs lower blood pressure as effectively as other blood pressure medications. The different ARBs tha...
What should I know before taking angiotensin receptor blockers?
ARBs are not recommended for people with normal blood pressure and kidney function measures. An ARB...