How can I minimize the side effects of Hyzaar?

You can minimize the side effects of Hyzaar (losartan and hydrochlorothiazide), which is used to treat high blood pressure, by taking it exactly as your doctor prescribes.

Certain medical conditions can raise your risk of side effects from Hyzaar, so give your doctor a complete medical history before you start taking this drug. Because Hyzaar can interact with some other drugs, tell your doctor about all your other medications (prescription and nonprescription), as well as any vitamins, supplements or herbal products you take. Hyzaar can also interact with potassium-containing salt substitutes and potassium supplements, potentially raising your blood potassium to dangerous levels, so you shouldn't use either without talking with your doctor. You also shouldn't drink alcohol without talking to your doctor about whether it's safe to do so, because combining alcohol with Hyzaar can make your blood pressure fall too low.

While you're on Hyzaar, you should avoid getting dehydrated, because that too can make your blood pressure fall too low. You should drink adequate amounts of fluid and avoid perspiring excessively; talk to your doctor if illness gives you a bout of vomiting or diarrhea.

Avoid getting pregnant while on Hyzaar because this drug can cause harm or even be fatal to a developing fetus. If you become pregnant, stop taking Hyzaar as soon as possible and call your doctor. You shouldn't breastfeed while on Hyzaar.

In general, you should pay attention to how you feel while you're on Hyzaar, and let your doctor know of any symptoms that bother you or don't go away. Your doctor may adjust the dose of your medication to relieve side effects.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

Can I take Diovan if I'm allergic to sulfa drugs?
MediGuardMediGuard
Diovan may be taken by someone with sulfa allergy. Although rare, it is important to note that peopl...
How can clonidine help me quit smoking?
Clonidine (Catapres) is a medication made to treat high blood pressure. It has also been used for qu...
Who should take a calcium channel blocker for high blood pressure?
Calcium channel blockers and diuretics are often considered good treatment choices for older people ...
What are the side effects of candesartan?
Side effects may include low blood pressure, dizziness, upper respiratory infection, inflammation of...