Can I drink herbal tea for a cold if I take Diovan HCT?

If you are taking the blood pressure drug Diovan HCT (valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide), talk to your doctor or pharmacist before drinking herbal tea for a cold. Although some herbs may be safe to consume when you're on Diovan HCT, others may not be. For example, licorice root is sometimes brewed into tea to soothe a sore throat, but high levels of licorice root may raise blood pressure and cause you to retain salt and water -- exactly what you may be taking Diovan HCT to prevent. Elderberry tea, sometimes used to soothe coughs, can act as a diuretic, which may be too much in combination with the diuretic effects of Diovan HCT.  

Before taking Diovan HCT, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your medicines and supplements -- including herbal supplements and remedies. Once you're on Diovan HCT, check with them before trying any new drugs, supplements or herbal remedies.

Slippery elm and other herbs have not been evaluated by the FDA for safety and effectiveness. Slippery elm can interact with many medications, and may affect the absorption of regular medications, which could affect his blood pressure control. It would be best to avoid using tea with this type of herbal in it. Decaffeinated peppermint or lemon tea would be a better choice and could still help to loosen up some of his congestion because of the steam of the tea.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

What are side effects of aliskiren?
Side effects of aliskiren may include swelling of the face, lips, tongue, throat, hands, and feet. O...
What should I know about aliskiren before taking it?
If you are breastfeeding, do not use aliskiren. It is not known if this drug can be passed into brea...
What is candesartan?
Candesartan (Atacand) is one of several blood pressure medications being used for migraine preventio...
What are centrally acting alpha agonists?
Centrally acting alpha agonists are sometimes used to treat high blood pressure. They are not consid...