Is diltiazem safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?

Women who use diltiazem should take precautions to avoid pregnancy, because the drug has caused birth defects in animal studies. Diltiazem can also pass into breast milk, so women should avoid breastfeeding while taking this drug.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

What are the side effects of calcium channel blockers?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Calcium channel blockers block the influx of ions into cells, so calcium (that's the ion that gets b...
How effective is candesartan for treating migraines?
Guidelines published by the American Headache Society state that candesartan is probably effective f...
What are side effects of aliskiren?
Side effects of aliskiren may include swelling of the face, lips, tongue, throat, hands, and feet. O...
Can I take Diovan if I'm allergic to sulfa drugs?
MediGuardMediGuard
Diovan may be taken by someone with sulfa allergy. Although rare, it is important to note that peopl...