Does Cartia XT (diltiazem) interact with other medications or food?

Cartia XT has the potential to interact with other medications in your body. Do not take Cartia XT if you are taking hawthorn, pimozide, ranolazine, or red yeast rice. Other medications can alter the effectiveness of Cartia XT and exacerbate its side effects. Tell your doctor if you are taking amiodarone, buspirone, carbamazepine, cimetidine, cyclosporine, digoxin, lovastatin, rifampin, quinidine, midazolam, triazolam, antibiotics, antifungal medications, or HIV medications. Make sure your doctor knows about these and any other medications you may be taking, including over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and nutritional supplements. Avoid grapefruit or grapefruit juice, as it can interfere with the body's ability to eliminate the drug, allowing unsafe levels to build up in the body. You should also avoid alcohol while taking Cartia XT.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

Can I take Diovan if I'm allergic to sulfa drugs?
MediGuardMediGuard
Diovan may be taken by someone with sulfa allergy. Although rare, it is important to note that peopl...
What are angiotensin receptor blockers for diabetes management?
Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) block the effects of the hormone angiotensin. They help to lowe...
Do thiazide diuretics have any side effects?
Brad AdkinsBrad Adkins
Thiazides are a class of medications which work in the kidneys to increase the amout of salt and wat...
Can I take Micardis if I have diabetes?
If you have diabetes, you likely can take Micardis (telmisartan) to treat your high blood pressure, ...