Can I use Atacand HCT if I am taking NSAIDs?

If you are taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) -- including aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen and selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors (COX-2 inhibitors) -- you should be cautious about taking the blood pressure drug Atacand HCT (candesartan and hydrochlorothiazide). NSAIDs can increase your body's retention of sodium and fluid, which can reduce Atacand HCT's ability to reduce blood pressure.

If you are elderly or have kidney problems, combining Atacand HCT with an NSAID can result in reduced kidney function and even lead to acute kidney failure.

Your doctor should monitor your blood pressure and kidney function closely if you take both medications.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

What are the side effects of calcium channel blockers?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Calcium channel blockers block the influx of ions into cells, so calcium (that's the ion that gets b...
Do thiazide diuretics have any side effects?
Brad AdkinsBrad Adkins
Thiazides are a class of medications which work in the kidneys to increase the amout of salt and wat...
What should I know before I take clonidine?
If you have Buerger disease, a depressive disorder, a stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA), or ...
Can I take Diovan if I'm allergic to sulfa drugs?
MediGuardMediGuard
Diovan may be taken by someone with sulfa allergy. Although rare, it is important to note that peopl...