Can I use Diovan HCT if I take lithium?

If you take lithium, talk to your doctor about whether you can use the blood pressure medication Diovan HCT (valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide). Diovan HCT may interact with lithium (a drug prescribed to treat bipolar disorder), possibly causing your blood level of lithium to get dangerously high. Your doctor may want to monitor your blood levels of lithium closely while you are taking Diovan HCT.

Lithium is just one of many drugs that may interact with Diovan HCT, possibly causing problems. Before you start Diovan HCT, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription), as well as any supplements you take. Once you're on Diovan HCT, check with your doctor or pharmacist before starting any new medication or supplement.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive