Is Azor safe for use by pregnant or breastfeeding women?

Azor is not considered safe to use during pregnancy. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers Azor to be a Category C medication for use during the first trimester of pregnancy. This means that animal studies have shown the drug to be toxic and lethal to developing animal fetuses. The FDA has given a Category D rating to Azor for use in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy, meaning adequate testing has been done on pregnant women to show harmful effects. If you become pregnant while taking Azor, tell your doctor right away. Despite Azor's FDA pregnancy ratings, it is possible that for some people, the benefits of treatment could outweigh the risks. Be sure to discuss your situation with your doctor.

Presently, there are no adequate studies to indicate if Azor is harmful during breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

What should I know before taking beta blockers?
Beta blockers are recommended for at least 3 years after a heart attack. Some experts recommend cont...
What should I know before taking candesartan?
It is not known whether candesartan is safe or effective for children and adolescents under age 18. ...
How can clonidine help me quit smoking?
Clonidine (Catapres) is a medication made to treat high blood pressure. It has also been used for qu...
What are possible side effects of an angiotensin receptor blocker?
Dr. Audrey K. Chun, MDDr. Audrey K. Chun, MD
Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) are generally well tolerated, with the most common side effects...