What should seniors know before taking Travatan Z?

There are no special precautions for seniors who use Travatan Z (travoprost), a prescription eyedrop to treat glaucoma and high pressure inside the eye. Research finds that it is as effective and as safe in older people as in younger people. However, if you are being treated for other medical conditions, talk to your doctor about them and all medications you are currently taking.

Travatan Z can cause pinkeye (conjunctivitis) as a side effect. It also can cause a permanent browning of the iris (the colored part of the eye) and is also more expensive than some other drugs used for these conditions, so it is usually not the first treatment option for glaucoma or high pressure inside the eye.

Continue Learning about Antiglaucoma

What should I know before taking a cholinergic agonist?
If you have asthma, cholinergic agonists may not be good options for you. If your asthma is severe, ...
What are cholinergic agonists?
Cholinergic agonist medications stimulate the involuntary nervous system. This helps the lacrimal gl...
Do cholinergic agonists have any side effects?
Side effects may include fatigue, insomnia, excess sweating, hot flashes, excess saliva, nose or lun...
When should I use pilocarpine eye inserts?
You should use pilocarpine inserts at night before you go to bed, unless your doctor tells you diffe...