What is Isopto Carpine?

Isopto Carpine (pilocarpine hydrochloride) is a prescription eyedrop that can treat glaucoma. Your doctor may prescribe it for long-term glaucoma treatment or to reduce the pressure in your eye before you have glaucoma surgery. Glaucoma can cause blindness by building pressure in your eye and damaging your optic nerve. Isopto Carpine contracts your pupils and lowers the pressure in your eye. The medication is classified as a miotic and can also be found under the brand names Pilocar and Pilopine HS Gel.

Continue Learning about Antiglaucoma

What are cholinergic agonists?
Cholinergic agonist medications stimulate the involuntary nervous system. This helps the lacrimal gl...
When should I use pilocarpine eye inserts?
You should use pilocarpine inserts at night before you go to bed, unless your doctor tells you diffe...
What should I know before taking a cholinergic agonist?
If you have asthma, cholinergic agonists may not be good options for you. If your asthma is severe, ...
Is there a generic version of Travatan Z?
There is no generic version of Travatan Z (travoprost), a prescription eyedrop to treat glaucoma as ...