What is brimonidine?

Brimonidine is the name of the active ingredient in an eye drop product sold under the brand name Alphagan P and its generic name. It is used to reduce the ocular (eye) pressure in people with ocular hypertension and open-angle glaucoma. Brimonidine is in a class of drugs called alpha adrenergic agonists, and works by reducing the amount of fluid produced in the eye.

Continue Learning about Antiglaucoma

Is there a generic version of Travatan Z?
There is no generic version of Travatan Z (travoprost), a prescription eyedrop to treat glaucoma as ...
When should I use pilocarpine eye inserts?
You should use pilocarpine inserts at night before you go to bed, unless your doctor tells you diffe...
What should I know before taking a cholinergic agonist?
If you have asthma, cholinergic agonists may not be good options for you. If your asthma is severe, ...
What are cholinergic agonists?
Cholinergic agonist medications stimulate the involuntary nervous system. This helps the lacrimal gl...