What is Betoptic (betaxolol)?

Betoptic (betaxolol) is used to lower intraocular pressure (IOP) and is approved for the treatment of ocular hypertension and chronic open-angle glaucoma.

It is part of a group of medications called beta-blockers, which reduce blood pressure. This can be helpful in the treatment of glaucoma, a condition that can lead to vision loss and is usually caused by increasing pressure in the eye.

Pressure builds in the eyes due to an accumulation of a fluid called aqueous humor, which is naturally produced in the front of the eye. If improperly drained, aqueous humor can build up and increase the amount of pressure in your eye.

Beta-blockers, such as Betoptic, reduce the amount of aqueous fluid being produced to help decrease pressure.

Continue Learning about Antiglaucoma

When should I use pilocarpine eye inserts?
You should use pilocarpine inserts at night before you go to bed, unless your doctor tells you diffe...
What should I know before taking a cholinergic agonist?
If you have asthma, cholinergic agonists may not be good options for you. If your asthma is severe, ...
Do cholinergic agonists have any side effects?
Side effects may include fatigue, insomnia, excess sweating, hot flashes, excess saliva, nose or lun...
What are cholinergic agonists?
Cholinergic agonist medications stimulate the involuntary nervous system. This helps the lacrimal gl...