What should I know about dorzolamide before taking it?

Before taking dorzolamide, you need to be aware of side effects, drug interactions, what to look for, possible complications, and when to contact your doctor for help.

Studies have shown adverse effects in animals using dorzolamide during pregnancy; however, adequate studies have not been performed in pregnant women. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.

Dorzolamide has not been tested in acute-angle glaucoma and should not be used for this condition.

Severe kidney disease may impact the effectiveness of this medication, and liver disease may increase the level of side effects. Do not take dorzolamide if you have kidney stones, as it may make them worse. Tell your doctor if any of these conditions apply to you before starting on this medication.

Tell your doctor about any other prescription medications, over-the-counter medications, supplements, or herbs you are taking and if you have any allergies to medications. Some medications, including aspirin and acetazolamide, may have increased side effects if you take them with dorzolamide.

Continue Learning about Antiglaucoma

When should I use pilocarpine eye inserts?
You should use pilocarpine inserts at night before you go to bed, unless your doctor tells you diffe...
What should I know before taking a cholinergic agonist?
If you have asthma, cholinergic agonists may not be good options for you. If your asthma is severe, ...
Do cholinergic agonists have any side effects?
Side effects may include fatigue, insomnia, excess sweating, hot flashes, excess saliva, nose or lun...
Is there a generic version of Travatan Z?
There is no generic version of Travatan Z (travoprost), a prescription eyedrop to treat glaucoma as ...