What should I know about Xalatan before taking it?

Before taking Xalatan (latanoprost ophthalmic), you should know that it may permanently darken the color of your eyes, eyelids, or eyelashes. If only one eye is treated, your eyes may be two different colors. Xalatan can also cause your eyelashes to become longer or thicker.

Also, Xalatan is designated a Category C drug by the United States Food and Drug Administration, which means that it is harmful to fetuses in animals but has not been extensively studied in humans. Your doctor may prescribe Xalatan if the benefits outweigh the risk of using it during pregnancy.

Finally, excessive use of Xalatan can make the medication less effective in reducing the pressure in your eyes.

Continue Learning about Antiglaucoma

What are cholinergic agonists?
Cholinergic agonist medications stimulate the involuntary nervous system. This helps the lacrimal gl...
Is there a generic version of Travatan Z?
There is no generic version of Travatan Z (travoprost), a prescription eyedrop to treat glaucoma as ...
When should I use pilocarpine eye inserts?
You should use pilocarpine inserts at night before you go to bed, unless your doctor tells you diffe...
What should I know before taking a cholinergic agonist?
If you have asthma, cholinergic agonists may not be good options for you. If your asthma is severe, ...