How does Betagan (levobunolol) treat glaucoma?

Betagan (levobunolol) is a beta-blocker that treats glaucoma by lowering pressure in the eye, or intraocular pressure (IOP). Elevated IOP increases the risk for optic nerve damage and vision loss.
Betagan decreases IOP by reducing the production of aqueous humor, which is the clear fluid that nourishes the lens and cornea. Betagan does not cure glaucoma but controls the pressure in the eye associated with the condition.

Continue Learning about Antiglaucoma

Do cholinergic agonists have any side effects?
Side effects may include fatigue, insomnia, excess sweating, hot flashes, excess saliva, nose or lun...
Is there a generic version of Travatan Z?
There is no generic version of Travatan Z (travoprost), a prescription eyedrop to treat glaucoma as ...
What should I know before taking a cholinergic agonist?
If you have asthma, cholinergic agonists may not be good options for you. If your asthma is severe, ...
When should I use pilocarpine eye inserts?
You should use pilocarpine inserts at night before you go to bed, unless your doctor tells you diffe...