What other drugs should I mention before using apraclonidine?

If you are taking apraclonidine, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking:

  • monoamine oxidase inhibitors, such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam) or tranylcypromine (Parnate). If you have used these drugs within 14 days, do not use apraclonidine.
  • other eye medications, unless prescribed by your doctor.
  • central nervous system depressant drugs, including alcohol, narcotics, barbiturates and sedatives. These drugs add to the dizziness that you might feel from taking apraclonidine.
  • beta blockers used to lower high blood pressure. Apraclonidine may add to their effects. If you are taking these drugs, your blood pressure should be checked regularly while taking apraclonidine.
  • tricyclic antidepressants, including amitriptyline, desipiramine (Norpramin), imipramine (Tofranil) and others. These drugs may prevent apraclonidine from working.

Continue Learning about Antiglaucoma

What are cholinergic agonists?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
Cholinergic agonist medications stimulate the involuntary nervous system. This helps the lacrimal gl...
More Answers
When should I use pilocarpine eye inserts?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
You should use pilocarpine inserts at night before you go to bed, unless your doctor tells you diffe...
More Answers
Do cholinergic agonists have any side effects?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
Side effects may include fatigue, insomnia, excess sweating, hot flashes, excess saliva, nose or lun...
More Answers
What should I know before taking a cholinergic agonist?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
If you have asthma, cholinergic agonists may not be good options for you. If your asthma is severe, ...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.