Is dorzolamide safe for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding?

Adequate testing of dorzolamide in human pregnancy has not been performed. Dorzolamide has been placed in pregnancy category C for all trimesters by the Food and Drug Administration, which means that animal studies have shown the drug is toxic and lethal to animal fetuses. However, the possible benefits may outweigh the risks. Therefore, it is important to discuss every option with your doctor.

There are no adequate studies to indicate if dorzolamide passes into breast milk.

Talk with your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding. If you become pregnant while taking dorzolamide, tell your doctor right away.

Continue Learning about Antiglaucoma

When should I use pilocarpine eye inserts?
You should use pilocarpine inserts at night before you go to bed, unless your doctor tells you diffe...
Is there a generic version of Travatan Z?
There is no generic version of Travatan Z (travoprost), a prescription eyedrop to treat glaucoma as ...
What are cholinergic agonists?
Cholinergic agonist medications stimulate the involuntary nervous system. This helps the lacrimal gl...
What should I know before taking a cholinergic agonist?
If you have asthma, cholinergic agonists may not be good options for you. If your asthma is severe, ...