What should I know about dorzolamide and timolol before taking it?

Before taking dorzolamide and timolol, you and your doctor should discuss the potential side effects of dorzolamide and timolol and weigh them against the potential benefits for this medication.

Your treatment regimen may require a bit of planning. Soft contact lenses must be removed before instilling the drops and cannot be reinserted until 15 minutes after placing the drops in the eye. If you are taking other eye drops in addition to dorzolamide and timolol, the drugs must be administered at least 10 minutes apart.

You should also know that unsanitary handling of eye medications (e.g., allowing the eyedropper tip to touch the eye or other surfaces) could lead to eye infections and loss of vision.

Certain medical conditions, such as lung disease and diabetes, may affect your use of dorzolamide and timolol.

Continue Learning about Antiglaucoma

What are cholinergic agonists?
Cholinergic agonist medications stimulate the involuntary nervous system. This helps the lacrimal gl...
What should I know before taking a cholinergic agonist?
If you have asthma, cholinergic agonists may not be good options for you. If your asthma is severe, ...
When should I use pilocarpine eye inserts?
You should use pilocarpine inserts at night before you go to bed, unless your doctor tells you diffe...
Do cholinergic agonists have any side effects?
Side effects may include fatigue, insomnia, excess sweating, hot flashes, excess saliva, nose or lun...