What is terbinafine?

Terbinafine is an antifungal antibiotic that is used to treat fungal infections of the scalp, fingernails and toenails, althlete's foot, ringworm and jock itch. This medication stops fungus from growing. Terbinafine is the generic name for the active ingredient in Lamisil, and is also manufactured by a number of companies as terbinafine hydrochloride. It is available in tablet, oral granules, cream, solution and gel form. The oral granules are used to treat fungal infections of hair follicles of the scalp in children over four years of age. The granules can be mixed with a spoonful of mashed potatoes or pudding, but not with acidic foods. It may take several months for the improvement of nails. The dosage for adults is 250 mg. once a day. The granules are given once a day to children. The topical forms are applied once to twice a day.

Continue Learning about Antifungal

What foods should I avoid if I take antifungal medication?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take antifungals such as fluconazole (Diflucan), griseofulvin (Grifulvin), ketoconazole (Nizo...
What is Cresemba?
Cresemba is a brand name for isavuconazonium, a strong antifungal medication intended to treat serio...