What is ketoconazole?

Ketoconazole is the name of the active ingredient in the brand-name drug Nizoral. Ketoconazole is prescribed to treat infections of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, skin or lungs that are caused by susceptible fungi. Ketoconazole is available as tablets, topical cream, topical foam, topical gel and topical shampoo. Because of the risk of liver damage or dangerous interactions with other drugs, oral ketoconazole should never be the first-choice treatment for a fungal infection.

Continue Learning about Antifungal

What foods should I avoid if I take antifungal medication?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take antifungals such as fluconazole (Diflucan), griseofulvin (Grifulvin), ketoconazole (Nizo...
What is Cresemba?
Cresemba is a brand name for isavuconazonium, a strong antifungal medication intended to treat serio...