What is itraconazole?

Itraconazole is the name of the active ingredient of the brand name antifungal drug Sporanox. It is used to treat infections caused by susceptible fungi. Itraconazole is used for people with infections throughout the body, including toenails and fingernails, the lungs, mouth or throat. Itraconazole works by interfering with fungal cell membrane production and function. Itraconazole dosage forms include injection and oral capsule or liquid.

Continue Learning about Antifungal

What foods should I avoid if I take antifungal medication?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take antifungals such as fluconazole (Diflucan), griseofulvin (Grifulvin), ketoconazole (Nizo...
What is Cresemba?
Cresemba is a brand name for isavuconazonium, a strong antifungal medication intended to treat serio...