What is ciclopirox?

Ciclopirox is the name of the active ingredient in several products available under the brand name Loprox. It is an antifungal medication available in topical cream, gel, suspension, shampoo and liquid nail lacquer formulations. The cream, gel and suspension formulations are used topically to treat fungal skin infections. Liquid ciclopirox nail lacquer is usually applied to infected finger and toe nails. The shampoo is used to treat symptoms of scalp flakiness, scaling, itching, burning or greasiness. It is not fully known how this antifungal medication works, however, it is thought that it interferes with the function of the fungal cell membrane.

Continue Learning about Antifungal

What foods should I avoid if I take antifungal medication?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take antifungals such as fluconazole (Diflucan), griseofulvin (Grifulvin), ketoconazole (Nizo...
What is Cresemba?
Cresemba is a brand name for isavuconazonium, a strong antifungal medication intended to treat serio...