Can I take posaconazole if I am pregnant?

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) puts posaconazole in "Pregnancy Category C," which means that this drug may cause harm to the fetus. While there is not a lot of information on the effect of this drug on pregnant women and their developing babies, studies done on rats show that high doses of posaconazole can cause bone defects in rat fetuses. Because of the possible risk to your developing baby, talk with your doctor about the benefits you get from posaconazole compared to the potential risk to your baby. Only take posaconazole if the benefit you get is greater than the possible risks to your baby.

Continue Learning about Antifungal

What is Cresemba?
Cresemba is a brand name for isavuconazonium, a strong antifungal medication intended to treat serio...
What foods should I avoid if I take antifungal medication?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take antifungals such as fluconazole (Diflucan), griseofulvin (Grifulvin), ketoconazole (Nizo...