How does fluconazole work?

Fluconazole is used to treat fungal infections caused by susceptible fingi. It works by causing damage to the cell wall of the fungi. It treats infections of the mouth, throat, lungs, blood, vagina, abdomen and esophagus (the tube runs from the mouth to the stomach). Fluconazole also treats meningitis, an infection of the membranes covering the brain and spine, and is used to prevent yeast infections caused by chemotherapy or radiation therapy.

Continue Learning about Antifungal

What is Cresemba?
Cresemba is a brand name for isavuconazonium, a strong antifungal medication intended to treat serio...
What foods should I avoid if I take antifungal medication?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take antifungals such as fluconazole (Diflucan), griseofulvin (Grifulvin), ketoconazole (Nizo...